Sunday, January 3, 2016

What Voices Are You Listening To?

I like sports! Maybe a bit more than I should. And to be honest I don't know why. I like watching college and pro football because the seasons are so short so every game is important. I like basketball but it depends on who is playing. Even though I live in Utah, Im not a Jazz fan. Since John Stockton and Karl Malone retired there hasn't been much to cheer about. And baseball and hockey are only fun when I am at the game or during the playoffs.

Here is something I learned while watching a football game a while back. I found myself getting all worked up when my team wasn't doing well, mostly because of what the commentators were saying. I was feeding more off of them then the game and I didn't like how I felt. If the Officials made a bad call against my team and the commentators agreed with it being a bad call I got even more worked up and hoped somehow something bad would happen to the apposing team, something more than what I usually hoped.

After becoming aware of the affect the commentators on me, I started watching games without sound and I loved it! I would just turn the sound back on when something exciting happened. I also found that I could do other things while watching a game like exercise, read, play with my daughter, or dilly dally on the Internet. My wife thought this was strange. I told her I didn't need to hear the game to know what is going on, unlike if I were watching a movie or something where you need to hear what was being said. I also found that by watching sports I didn't have to deal with immorality (some cheerleaders outfits can be a bit small but at least they keep them on), swearing (unless you are good at reading lips), or violence (the kind of violence you see in a movie because sports in general are mostly violent).

Here is my spiritual spin on what I am saying. There are a lot of really great things going on in the world. And there are many great people out there trying and wanting to make the world a better place. And there are also many bad things and bad people who only think of themselves. And there are many voices wanting to persuade us to believe in what they are saying. At times those voices can be very convincing. I think it is good at times to turn the voices off and step back and take a look at what is going on. Watch for a while and make sure the voices you are listening to are leading you down a path that YOU want to go because YOU want to be on it.

The only path I have ever found that is taking me to where I want to go is the path that leads me to Christ. As I have listened to many of the voices in the world I have come to realize that many of those voices are being mislead and do much misleading. Sometimes knowingly and other times not. The only voices that I have found that have never mislead me are of men that are called Prophets, Seers, and Revelators. These are the men, and there are women also, known as the General Authorities of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or the Mormons. I have been listening to these voices for 29 years and they have never mislead me. They are voices of love and truth. They are voices that speak of and for Jesus. If you want to listen for yourself click here: www.lds.org

I encourage you to question the voices that have guided you to where you are today! God Bless You!

No comments:

Post a Comment